Re: Re: Better DRiving Lights?(H.O. Bulbs)

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 21:46:40 EDT

 a message dated 99-05-09 23:11:53 EDT, you write:

>I replaced my normal 9004 bulbs with 85watt lows100watt highs bulbs about 2
>years ago; they only lasted about 3 months. I did love output and improved
>visability of them. About 7-8 months ago I replaced my normal 9004's once
>again to the 65lows/100 highs only to once again have them bust. Any idea
>why
>this is ocurring?? What is a good brand of these higher output bulbs?? Who
>sells them?
>I ordered mine through JC Whitney, and they didn't even have a name on the
>box when I got them, maybe that is why, poor quality.

It *may* be the JC Whitney bulbs, but make sure you are not handling the
bulbs with your bare hands. Fingerprints on the glass can make them
break. The acids in the skin oils can etch the glass, and the oil can
boil on the extremely hot bulbs, causing them to crack.

What I do whenever I get these bulbs is clean each bulb with denatured
alcohol, wipe them off with a clean, dry towel, and install them wearing
gloves. I have run Halogen bulbs in my Cibie' lights and run 80/100w
bulbs in my SS with NO bulb loss yet (knock on wood). Hope this helps,
'cause cleaning the broken glass bits and smoke out of the housings is a
beast!!

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T
95 DGGM Impala SS