Re: MPI Intake is here!

From: TREMAIN LYNNE (bmbl-b1@home.com)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 21:22:41 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> I've never had my stock intake off, and I've got A/C, so its kind've
> hard to see down in there. Does the current intake use a hose to go to the
> water pump, or is this something I'm going to have to rig up somehow? They
> did include a fitting which fits into this port on the front; looks like
> something you're supposed to hook a hose up to.
> They also included another fitting which blocks off one of the medium
> ports. I only have one heater hose coming out of that area, so hopefully
> I'll be able to block off the passenger side one and use some sort of
> fitting to hook up the heater hose. (For a lot of these ports, it looks
> like I'm going to have to thread the existing fittings out of the stock
> intake and try to re-use them in the MPI.)

  If the magnum engines are anything like the older 5.2's then yes there
is a bypass hose from the water pump to the intake. You should have one
heater hose from the intake and one from the water pump. The heater hose
fitting from your old intake should work in the new one as they are
usually a standard size

> What's the deal with the power brake hose? I notice that there is a hose
> coming out of the driver's side of the intake and running to that big
> cylinder which has something to do with the brakes...

The deal is the power brake booster uses engine vacuum to assist you
with the brakes. It basically has a rubber diaphragm housed inside that
big cylinder and the vacuum created on the front side from the engine
helps to pull the brake pedal down allowing you to use a lot less
pressure to apply the brakes

> I wondered if maybe I could buy or make a fitting that would allow me to
> hook up 2 or three things there... I'm guessing the vaccum stuff would be
> OK, but I wonder if the intake temp sensor would work there too?
>
> Unfortunately, there's no room to drill for fittings on the top of the
> adaptor, and if I drill into the plenum anywhere, I'm partially obstructing
> one of the air passages, no matter where I drilled. :-( I guess I could
> drill into the side of the spacer; that would only obstruct the air from
> the TB at least, and not an individual intake runner. I'm hoping I'll be
> able to just hook up the vaccum stuff to the port on the back of the TB...
> Any reason why that wouldn't work?

You could drill a hole for a fitting to run the brake booster in one of
the intake runners. this should work as long as the booster is in good
shape, if the booster fails it will create a miss in the engine, as the
engine will draw air from the booster and not the T.B. also recommend if
you do this to add a one way valve between the engine and the booster
similar to what G.M uses on their early 80's vehicles to keep vacuum
built up in the booster so you don't have a miss at start
up. Do Not run the PCV from a intake
runner or you will have a miss, because as you open the throttle vacuum
drops and the PCV opens causing a vacuum leak to that cylinder, I know
this from personal experience I had on my old 360 with a torker intake
which was drilled for a fitting in the intake runner from edlbrock
As for air flow restrictions if you tap into a intake runner just cut
the fitting off so that when it is installed it is flush with the with
the inside of the runner.

Hope this helps

Dave T.

99 Solar Yellow Sport CC 4x4