Re: MPI Intake is here!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 01:42:41 EDT

At 11:45 PM 5/10/99 , you wrote:
>In a message dated 5/10/99 8:35:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
><< The thermostat housing seems to be different. It looks bigger, but I
> guess that could be my immagination. There is a threaded port coming out
> the front of the thermostat housing, two slightly smaller ones on each
> side, and a smaller one still on the passenger side of the intake. (I'm
> almost positive the small one is for the coolant temp sensor, and I'm
> guessing that one of the medium sized ones is for the heater hose, but I'm
> completely baffled on the other two.
> >>
> The Threaded port coming out front goes to water pump, small ones are for

   I've never had my stock intake off, and I've got A/C, so its kind've
hard to see down in there. Does the current intake use a hose to go to the
water pump, or is this something I'm going to have to rig up somehow? They
did include a fitting which fits into this port on the front; looks like
something you're supposed to hook a hose up to.
They also included another fitting which blocks off one of the medium
ports. I only have one heater hose coming out of that area, so hopefully
I'll be able to block off the passenger side one and use some sort of
fitting to hook up the heater hose. (For a lot of these ports, it looks
like I'm going to have to thread the existing fittings out of the stock
intake and try to re-use them in the MPI.)

>temp senders. Medium for heater hose. plug off what you dont use. There is
>no EGR on a 96, so dont worry about that.

  Cool! OBD-II finally helps me out? ;-)

>The port on the back of the intake
>plenum is for power brake hose or PCV, or both.

  What's the deal with the power brake hose? I notice that there is a hose
coming out of the driver's side of the intake and running to that big
cylinder which has something to do with the brakes...

You will probably have to
>drill a couple holes and screw some fittings in the manifold top or adaptor
>to run the vacuum hoses. the hose to the "ball" is cruise control. the one
>into the firewall runs all your heater controls.

   I wondered if maybe I could buy or make a fitting that would allow me to
hook up 2 or three things there... I'm guessing the vaccum stuff would be
OK, but I wonder if the intake temp sensor would work there too?

  Unfortunately, there's no room to drill for fittings on the top of the
adaptor, and if I drill into the plenum anywhere, I'm partially obstructing
one of the air passages, no matter where I drilled. :-( I guess I could
drill into the side of the spacer; that would only obstruct the air from
the TB at least, and not an individual intake runner. I'm hoping I'll be
able to just hook up the vaccum stuff to the port on the back of the TB...
Any reason why that wouldn't work?

If you can, can you measure
>the opening on top of the manifold for me?? Thanks! Also, take some pics of
>the manifold and adaptor, and send them to me and the list! I am gonna have
>my father make an adaptor, and I want to know what it should look like!
>Thanks!

  Its kind've a weird shape... At its widest points, its 4 5/8" wide and 4
1/4" long. If you like, I can draw a picture of it (or maybe make a pencil
impression or something) and give you all of the dimensions.

  I've taken a bunch of pics; hopefully they'll be posted sometime tuesday
evening.

                                               -Jon-