Re: MPI Intake is here!

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 18:05:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/99 10:46:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

<< I've never had my stock intake off, and I've got A/C, so its kind've
 hard to see down in there. Does the current intake use a hose to go to the
 water pump, or is this something I'm going to have to rig up somehow? They
 did include a fitting which fits into this port on the front; looks like
 something you're supposed to hook a hose up to.
 They also included another fitting which blocks off one of the medium
 ports. I only have one heater hose coming out of that area, so hopefully
 I'll be able to block off the passenger side one and use some sort of
 fitting to hook up the heater hose. (For a lot of these ports, it looks
 like I'm going to have to thread the existing fittings out of the stock
 intake and try to re-use them in the MPI.)

Yes, the stock intake has a hose going to the water pump. It also has 1 hose
for the heater, the other heater hose comes off the water pump. You can make
a fitting to go into that port to run all your vacuum requirements. Vacuum
is vacuum, regardless of where you take it, as long as its all under the
throttle blades. You may want to count how many sensors are in your
manifold. I think there are at least two. Also, the air temp sender can go
anywhere really. In the air cleaner would be good, but I think if you make a
longer harness, and mount it up near the grille, then the computer will think
that you are getting colder air, and should help performance. Remember, if
you have to drill into the spacer, you dont neccesarily have to have
something protruding into the air stream. Look at your stock manifold and
see how its done. I would drill, thread it, and get some little brass
fittings to screw in. They wont mess up the air flow, and you can hook your
vacuum hoses to them. You have to run the big hose to the power brake
booster (thats what that big can is!!!). Try driving the truck, shutting off
the key, then try stopping it!!! You'll realize why the power booster needs
to be hooked up real quick!!! I know what the opening looks like on the
manifold. I was hoping it was square, and I could get some quick
measurements, but sounds like it has one of those odd kinda figure 8
openings. Also, the torque spec on the stock manifold is only 12 foot
pounds. Did your instructions have a torque spec? If not, stick witht he 12
ft/lb, and use the pattern shown in your manual.

Brad

Brad