RE: Lockers used with a manual trans

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 22:26:55 EDT

Oh yeah? Well, my '95 Dak 4x4 is even more the best! :-)

> Anyway, yeah I take my truck wheel'n whenever I can, and
> have even been on one trail where I only saw Jeeps and dirt
> bikes. It's certainly a very capable 4x4. I am curious
> about the locker topic. This is my first vehicle with 4WD,
> although I basically grew up in the back of a Jeep (my Mom
> made my Dad sell it before I was of driving age--BUMMER!!),
> so I was wondering if anyone could explain the concept of a
> locker to me. Also, I have the LSD and how does that work
> with a locker?

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've been able to pick up, a
locker is more aggressive than an LSD. Where the limited slip uses clutches
to try to send some power to the stuck tire rather than the spinning one, a
locker will actually lock the axle solid so you get a 50-50 torque split.
An LSD will still let one tire spin if it's up in the air and the other one
is completely stuck (although in practice you don't get anything this
extreme).

The LSD is smoother on pavement. I believe a locker actually leaves the
axle locked a lot of the time, then unlocks when it somehow figures out
you're turning.

Like I said, I'm no expert, so I could be way off base. I found a good page
on these once, let's see... where is that... okay, found it. Check out
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/main_4x4.htm, he has links to a lot of
good info under the tech stuff section. Too much rice burner content, but
if you can get over that fact there's much to be learned.

> What about the front drivetrain--any way to
> improve this? Oh, and what is the front drivetrain? Is it
> like a Dana something or other? Just need someone to sit
> down and explain this stuff to me.
>
> A curious wheeler,
> JY
> Vegas '98 5.2L 4x4 CC

The front axle is a Chrysler 7.25" (at least that's what it is in the '95).
No Danas on this truck. Since you can't unlock the hubs, it's not a good
idea to try to put a locker or LSD in the front axle. An ARB or something
else you could completely disable at will would work okay, but I don't know
of anything available for this axle.

Jason Bleazard jbleazard@home.com Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto