Re: Climate control switch.

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 13:07:12 EDT

Joseph DaVolio wrote:

> Sure let me know when and I will try to keep my schedule clear.
>
> About the Climate thingy... This position doesn't have a "snowflake" on it, so in theory it should not turn the A/C on. On my wife's caravan there are slide bars for these controls, and if I put it to the same position I get slightly cooler outside air. I will have to check the manual.
>
> Lat me know about the meet.
>
> Thanks
> Joe DaVolio

> Hey, WELCOME BACK Joe!
>
> Yep, that position runs the A/C... I may be mistaken but I always thought the
> snowflake meant the system was recalculating the air in the cab and the
> "non-flaky" position meant it was cooling "fresh" air from outside. Dunno for
> sure.
>
> Forget about a big MPG increase... I don't notice much of a change with mine
> --Some but not significant.
> Tom
>
> P.S. I'm thinking about setting up a meet for Cape Cod in late July or early
> August... We need 4x4's to transport all the food, beverages and 4x2 types onto
> the beach. You in?

> Subject: DML: Climate control switch.
> Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
> Date: 5/12/99 10:39 AM
>
> I discovered a interesting problem today. I have always left my climate selecto
> r knob (the center knob) on the upper and lower setting. Just a brief descripti
> on of the knob so we are all on the same page...The center knob between the hot
> and cold selector and the fan speed selector. It has the following options... o
> ff, A/C max, A/C normal, upper/lower, upper, lower, defroster/lower, defroster.
>
> Now that we have that straight. It is very warm out this morning, so I turned t
> he temp control to cold and the selector was on upper/lower. Well the air comin
> g from the vent was freezing. It should have been cooler outside air. To make
> alonger story short, this position had my A/C on. So if I'm not mistaken my A/C
> has been on since I have owned the truck. This could be a reason for the low MP
> G. Check it out and see if your DAK does this. This is a problem, because the
> A/C should not be on at that selection.
>
> Sorry so long
>
> Joe DaVolio
Joe, I just went out and checked my R/T to see at what setting the A/C
clutch is engaged. Since I hooked up the A/C relay to my elec. fans, I
have a clear indicator of when the clutch engages. My fans come on as
the clutch gets 12V from the climate control switch.
The A/C clutch runs in the 1st 3 positions and the last 2. Only the
upper and lower vent positions open without the A/C.
Interesting. Alan S.