Re: Re: Selling My R/T

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 13:13:32 EDT

At 09:20 AM 5/12/99 , you wrote:
>Not true, How many Big rigs have seen with an auto?????
> If the vehicle has the ponies and gears to pull it, a 5speed will
>outperform an auto everytime.

>>Your better off having an automatic when towing....with a 5speed you will
>>kill your clutch in no time.

Actually, there are autos made for Big Trucks (a "rig" is what they put in
the middle of an oil field :-) ). True, most 18-wheelers have manual
trannys. They also have anywhere from 10 to 20 forward gears. They also use
a different kind of clutch than is used in passenger vehicles. The clutch
in your Dak (assuming you didn't have the foresight to get an auto :-) )
was made to slip while being engaged. Clutches in 18-wheelers don't slip
but rather grab all at once when engaged. Also, you don't even use the
clutch to shift gears once you get going. Whether a manual will outperform
an auto is a holy war that I'm not even going to start. But towing is
certainly harder on a manual tranny (specifically the clutch) that it is on
an auto.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case
I see a snake, which I also keep handy. -- W.C. Fields