The Lightning is bad news. :-(

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 03:51:20 EDT

  Today's lesson: Don't mess with this one unless you've got a few mods
under your belt! :-(

    I was at the track today, and what should roll through the gates but a
brand spankin' new, bone stock Ferd Lightning. The kid driving it was
inexperienced, and all of his launches were a lot slower than they would
have been if he would have brought the rpm's up a bit on the line, so these
numbers are probably a bit slower than they could be.

   Anyway, on his very first run, with a passenger, he ran a 14.09@97mph.
On his second run, he went it alone (no passenger) and ran 13.90. (I don't
know what the speed was.)
I don't know what the barometric pressure was, but the humidity was 25-30%,
and the temp was 55-60 degrees F. My Dak was running 14.65-14.79. Another
Dak which usually runs high 14.5's managed a 14.4, but was generally in the
mid 14.5 area.

   Anyhoo... This is the first I've seen one actually run at the strip. I
didn't get an opportunity to run against it myself, so I don't know where
all the power comes on. I suspect that on the street, if you get the jump
on the guy you might get lucky, but there are a lot fewer variables at the
track...

  My one consolation is that you could build a brand new (naturally
aspirated) Dak which would absolutely stomp the Lightning for about $10,000
less. I wouldn't be caught owning a Lightning, but its still pretty
impressive for a factory truck! The old Lightnings are no problemo; spank
at will... The new ones are a different story. :-(

  Be careful out there! :-)

                                               -Jon-