Re: Re: Selling My R/T

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 16:10:38 EDT

At 01:08 PM 5/12/99 , you wrote:
>ok, so you are trying to tell me that an auto (flame suit on now)
>doesn't slip?

No, I'm trying to tell you that an auto tranny doesn't have a clutch like a
manual.

>I have pulled 30 ft fifth wheel travel trailers with both an
>88' Dodge 350 Cummins auto and a 94 Dodge 3500 cummins 5spd and the clutch
>never slipped

Guess I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking about the clutch
slipping when it's engaged but rather slipping as it's *being* engaged. In
other words, as you're letting the clutch out it starts to grab a little
but it's also slipping. It continues to slip until it becomes fully
engaged. (If you don't believe me try driving around with your foot resting
on the clutch.) Common sense and the laws of physics dictate that the
heaver the load you're trying to get moving, the more wear and tear on the
clutch. It doesn't matter how expert you are at using the clutch, the
heaver the load, the more wear on the clutch. Auto tranny...no clutch, no
problem :-)

> Like I stated before, properly geared and ponied, a 5spd will outperform an
>auto every time.

Outperform--no comment. If a couple of hundred pounds of towing capacity
makes that much difference, you probably need a bigger truck anyway.
Outlast--I don't *think* so. There are always exception to the rule, but on
average, properly geared and ponied :-) an auto will give you more trouble
and maintenance free towing. (flame suit....aww, screw it. Flame away.)

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case
I see a snake, which I also keep handy. -- W.C. Fields