Re: Oil change NIGHTMARE! (long)

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 13:19:07 EDT

Wow, Chad! Thanks for having the fortitude =o) to share that with us. I
don't know that many would have.
Don't worry about the oil; Valvoline sells a synthetic blend called
DuraBlend. It's a mixture.

Don't be afraid to change your own oil. Keep in touch with your Dak. Know
your Dak.

Richard in SA

On 17 May 1999 08:32:25 -0700 RCPL-VAN CNIWR
<RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com> writes:
> =
>
> =
>
> So how hard can an oil change be, right? Well, if there was
>something =
>
> that could go wrong for me, it did! I've done them before, abeit
>not =
>
> that much. Yesterday, I thought it was a good day to change the
>oil. I=
> =
>
> wanted to start using synthetic, and it would cost the same for
>me to =
>
> do it myself rather than go to a quick lube joint and get dino
>oil. I =
>
> go to Wal-mart and buy 5 litres of Quaker State Synchron 5W50.
>Had to =
>
> go Canadian Tire for the filter because all Wal-mart had were
>Fram =
>
> PH16, and not PH16A filters. Difference? Don't know. So, I also
>just =
>
> picked up the last June copy of Mopar Muscle with the Dakota
>tips. In =
>
> there they mention a Purolator P30001 filter. Has more capacity.
>I =
>
> wish I never read that! I buy the Quaker equivalent: QS8A. It's
>about =
>
> 1/3 longer, and has the same fitting (actually a Ferd 5.0
>filter). Go =
>
> home, jack up the front end, drain the oil, no problem. Try to
>twist =
>
> the filter off. Nope. Back to Wal-mart for a filter wrench.
>Return, =
>
> filter comes off. Good. Now the fun begins. I attempt to put then
>new,=
> =
>
> longer filter on. NOPE!!!! IT DON'T FIT! The mag says that it
>won't =
>
> work on 4wd Daks, and I found it don't work on 2wd either. Back
>to =
>
> Wal-mart (with old, oily filter in car), guess what?, CLOSED!!
>DOH! =
>
> Canadian Tire is closed too. No choice but to resuse the filter.
>I =
>
> don't like doing this. Dodge says you can go up to 24000 kms on
>one =
>
> fitler, and this one has 10000 on it, but still.... So I
>reluctantly =
>
> put the old fiter back on. Now to fill the oil. Simply enough, I
>put =
>
> in 4.7 liters as Dodge says. I spilled a little bit (no funnel),
>but =
>
> cleaned it up. My bro says, "You bought their 4x4 oil?" I said,
>"No. =
>
> They both come in clear bottles. The 4x4 is their synthetic
>blend." He=
> =
>
> says, " Well that last bottle you put in was 4x4." I look, and
>sure =
>
> enough, it's 4x4 and 10W30!!! F%&*!!!! Man, am I ever pissed now!
> I =

> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]