5-Star Dealership Problems(a bit long)

From: DRD892@AOL.COM
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 08:30:05 EDT

I have noticed several messages on the Dakota Mailing List concerning customer
satisfaction problems with "so called" 5-Star Dealerships. I am afraid I
have to
add one to the list. I will try to keep this short.
I have been dealing with Sterling Heights Dodge in Sterling Heights, Michigan
since
1990. My wife and I have purchased/leased 6 new vehicles for ourselves during
this time. Since she and I both work for Daimler/Chrysler we have set up
"Green
Sheet" purchases/leases for family members for 5 new vehicles. A good friend
of
mine (a Ford buyer) decided to switch to Chrysler products. Upon my
recommendation and assistance, he purchased/leased 5 new vehicles (including
a 1997 Viper GTS). All these transactions were completed thru Sterling
Heights
Dodge.
Service at this dealership has always been marginal with very few exceptions.
The bodyshop and paint do excellent work. But the rest of service is a
nightmare.
I personally have had service problems with at least four of the vehicles
numerous
times. My family members will not take their vehicles to this service
department
and have chosen another dealership to go thru for their purchases/lease. I
know
my friend has not been happy with some of the service he has received.

The "straw that broke the camels back" happened last Thursday, May 13th.
On the way to work at 0330 AM I got a "check Engine" light on the Dash and
the transmission was stuck in 3rd gear (auto). It would shift OK if you
manually
shifted from 1st to 2nd to drive and the lockup worked OK. It was obvious to
me
there was an electronic control problem. I got to the dealership early and
was 1st
in line. When they opened at 7AM I explained to the service writer what the
problem was and that I thought it was an electronic control problem rather
than
and mechanical problem. His response to me was: "leave it in the lot and we
will look at it the first week in June." I replied this was not acceptable
(calmly)
and could we discuss this with the manager. Neither the manager or service
writer would discuss any options. He said his transmission shop was backed up
until June. I could leave it or just go away. I left the dealership at
7:30Am with
the "Check Engine" light on and a transmission that would only manual shift.
Both the service writer and manager knew that this was not a warranty claim
but
a cash transaction. After many service problems over the last 9 1/2 years,
this is it. I will never set foot in this dealership again, I will not allow
my family
to use it and I will recommend to all my friends that they do business
elsewhere.

It is my firm belief that if their Transmission Shop is that backed up, they
need to
commit additional resources and/or outside help to keep their customers
satisfied and on the road. Parking a customers vehicle in their lot to be
looked at
next month is not an acceptable option.

I did get the Dakota fixed on Thursday. I took it to my private mechanics
and they
were able to look up the failure codes. This pointed to a broken electronic
control
sensor in the transmission (pressure/overtemp sensor). Ordered the part from
different dealer, dropped the pan, filter and part of the valve body and
replaced the
sensor. Refilled the transmission with AMSOIL and was on the road with a
great transmission at 5:45PM the same day. The cost was $404.00

There is the first $404.00 this dealership lost. I know of at least 3
vehicles that
will be replaced in the next 12 months. They will not be done at this
dealership.

How they got to be a 5-Star Dealership I have no idea. I would not give them
1-Star. It will take a while, but they will know eventually they have lost a
customer.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan