Re: Throttle Body

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 06:04:14 EDT

On Tue, 18 May 1999 22:49:13 -0800, Johnny Z. wrote:

>1) What carb cleaner works best or will any carb cleaner work for
>cleaning the throttle body?

Lacquer thinner and some elbow grease. Gasoline will also work.
Just take the common sense precautions with gasoline. Soak the TB
in the thinner first for a while. Use a soft cloth (so as not to scratch
the metal) and short back and forward rubbing. The same process (except
for the soaking part if you cannot remove them) works on metal exhaust tips
with accumulated black carbon deposits.

>2) How hard is changing the gasket on the throttle body?

Not difficult.

>3) What do I need to change the gasket, other then the gasket and some
>elbow grease? ( remember, I am automotively challenged)

After you take the TB off, put a piece of cloth on the intake hole to
prevent any debris from going into the intake. If gasket needs to be
scraped off, use a chisel/metal scraper/plastic card. Just be careful
about scratching the surface.

>4)I forgot to ask in my last post, How hard is it to get to the
>cap/rotor? It seems to be stuck right up against the firewall.

Remove the air cleaner. Remove the wires. Be sure you know beforehand
which wire goes where on the cap. Remove the 2 small bolts on opposite sides
at the base of the cap. Remove the cap. As you said, it's tight for space
back there but take your time. Remove the rotor by pulling it off.
Reverse the procedure with new rotor and cap.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2