Re: Gas Mileage

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 08:41:14 EDT

Well....I'll tell ya all the secrets for a bottle of Vicodin.
heehehe.....JUS KIDDIN.....

Bed covers do work...slightly.

Oil: Haven't noticed anything different even with those "Super Lubricants"
Plugs: Lost 1mpg with the Champion Truck Plugs...Use Splitfires
Plug Gap: Use .050" w/MSD and .040" - .045" w/Stock
Plug Wires: Magencore, MSD Super Conductor, SplitFire Twin-Core....All work
very well
Cap & Rotor: Stick to Brass (Borg Warner makes them)
Air Filtration: Easy...K&N

But...the best modification for Fuel Economy is your driving style.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm

> A little introduction:
> My name is Craig T. Grass. I am new to the list. I currently do not own a
Dak, but I am subscribing to the list so I can start learning a bit about
them before I order mine. I live in Spokane, Washington and go to college. I
also work for Bayer Pharmaceutical. I will graduate in June with a B.S. in
Chemistry, minor in math, minor in physics.

> More to the point:
> I am looking into buying a new 2000 Quad Cab Dak. I wanted to see if there
was a general consensus on how to improve the gas mileage on their Dak's
though. This is what I am thinking:

> I am opting for the 318 motor. (5-speed manual)
>
> Mobil 1 - Decreases friction greatly over regular non-synthetic oils so it
of course will improve gas mileage. Right?
> Plugs - I like NGK GR4, and Bosch Plat +4's, has anyone found ones that
are better? 0.40" gap is the best for gas mileage on Daks right?
> Bed Covers - Do these actually help improve gas mileage? If so, by how
much? How much do they run?

> ----> What else can be done to improve gas mileage?
>
> I am fairly new to the Dodge Truck scene, but I am no stranger to Mopar
vehicles. I am very familiar with Neons and the Shelby Turbo cars of the
80's. I try to give advice to people on the list and hope that my limited
knowledge on trucks combined with what I know about Mopars in general will
help but if I am wrong on something, please correct me. I'm here to learn,
not to preach.

> Thanks All!
>
> Craig T. Grass
> Protease@ix.netcom.com (Protease = 'Pro - tee - aze' - Part of a virus.