Gas Mileage

From: Craig T. Grass (protease@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 03:21:31 EDT

A little introduction:
My name is Craig T. Grass. I am new to the list. I currently do not own a Dak, but I am subscribing to the list so I can start learning a bit about them before I order mine. I live in Spokane, Washington and go to college. I also work for Bayer Pharmaceutical. I will graduate in June with a B.S. in Chemistry, minor in math, minor in physics.

More to the point:
I am looking into buying a new 2000 Quad Cab Dak. I wanted to see if there was a general consensus on how to improve the gas mileage on their Dak's though. This is what I am thinking:

I am opting for the 318 motor. (5-speed manual)

Mobil 1 - Decreases friction greatly over regular non-synthetic oils so it of course will improve gas mileage. Right?
Plugs - I like NGK GR4, and Bosch Plat +4's, has anyone found ones that are better? 0.40" gap is the best for gas mileage on Daks right?
Bed Covers - Do these actually help improve gas mileage? If so, by how much? How much do they run?

----> What else can be done to improve gas mileage?

I am fairly new to the Dodge Truck scene, but I am no stranger to Mopar vehicles. I am very familiar with Neons and the Shelby Turbo cars of the 80's. I try to give advice to people on the list and hope that my limited knowledge on trucks combined with what I know about Mopars in general will help but if I am wrong on something, please correct me. I'm here to learn, not to preach.

Thanks All!

Craig T. Grass
Protease@ix.netcom.com (Protease = 'Pro - tee - aze' - Part of a virus. For more details, inquire within.)
Location: Spokane, Washington