Re: Throttle body cleaning

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 09:03:41 EDT

Johnny,
I was gonna do the same this weekend, but didnt get around to it. Lately my
truck, 92 318 4x4, has been acting up. When its cold and and I let it warm
up, the engine starts loping. Like a carb does when the choke isnt adjusted
properly. It sounds like a radical cam then the IAC motor revs the engine
and it comes back down to normal RPMs. Anyways....this is the proceedure for
the magnum engs.
Do this when the engine is dead-cold.
1. disconnect the battery and remove the air cleaner assy.
2. Relieve the fuel pressure. Unscrew the cap on the fuel rail (driver
side). Get a rag and a screwdriver (small flathead). Hold the rag over the
shrader valve and press down on the valve like you would on your tires to
release air. Only this time fuel will come out. It shouldnt be alot of fuel
but be careful.
3. Remove the throttle linkage assembly. Youll need a torx screwdriver for
this.
4. Unplug the pig-tails (sockets) for the IAC motor (rear), TPS (side) and
MAP sensor (front).
5. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the TB down and remove the TB.
6. when you clean the TB, use sensor safe cleaner( Air intake cleaner for
FI). DONT USE CARB CLEANER!
7. Be careful around the IAC motor, there is a plunger with a spring behind
it. Dont move the plunger or the spring, just clean around it.
8. Clean the plenum (where the TB sits on the intake). Becareful not to
gouge the surface when removing the old gasket. The intake is aluminum and
relatively soft compared to cast iron. You can use emory cloth to clean it
up.
Dont let anything fall down into the intake. You might want to stuff a rag
in the hole.

Since I havent done mine yet, I dont know if you put any gasket sealant on
the new gasket before setiing on the plenum, but if so, use permatex ultra
copper spray (or equivalent). The ultra copper is sensor safe and resists
high temps (much hotter than the intake should ever get).
Just lightly spray the gasket, not the plenum.

The p/n for the gasket is 66-0354 for a McCord brand gasket. Any good parts
store (dont go to Shlepp boyz) should be able to cross the number to their
brand.

I'm gonna do mine Friday, so I'll let ya know what happens.
Anyhow, thats how I'm gonna do it. At least thats how I plan to do it.
TTYL
Boog