Re: Oil

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 13:38:33 EDT

The first number is considered the Winter rating (hence the W)... and the
second number is the base rating (at temperature)...
what 5W30 says is that this oil acts like weight 5 oil at 0degrees C, but
like 30 weight at 100 degrees C (I'm sure I've got the numbers wrong... but
you get the idea)

>At 10:38 PM 5/18/99 , you wrote:
>>by definition, if the oil behaves as the numbers indicate, the HOT
viscosity
>>of 5W30 (I assume that's what you mean) and 10W30 are the same... but 5W30
>>flows much better at COLD temperatures... especially below zero....
quicker