Re: Dancin gas guage

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 13:51:32 EDT

<< Read on the list a while back about people having trouble with their
 gas guage jumping around. I'm wondering if anyone who has had trouble
 with this could reply with what it took to fix it. Ever since I read
 about it I had been watching the guage and now mine is jumping all over
 the place. If I have to drop the gas tank to fix it what would be goo
 to replace as long as I'm in there? Have a '95 (fuel filter in tank)
 V6 with about 44,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.

I have gone through 4 complete fuel pump assemblies, 2 due to a bad sending
unit and 2 more due to a dead pump . These pumps are basically crap, in my
opinion. The fuel pump assemblies are made by Carter. I have contacted them,
but never received a response. When my sending unit went one time, I just
dropped the tank and put on a new sending unit, only to have to drop the tank
3 weeks later because the pump went out also. So do yourself a favor, and
just buy the complete assembly which will include the sending unit. I think
this last time I paid $130 for the Carter assembly and $10 for the filter.
The assembly is NOT a dealer only item. I have found that the smaller parts
stores have the better prices when it comes to these pump assemblies. I have
dropped the tank 3 times now on my Dak, and it is not as bad as it seems,
only takes 20 minutes MAX to get the tank out. I dont see how taking the bed
off can be easier, but hey we all have our own preferences. Every time I have
dropped the tank, I have taken the tank to a local radiator shop because of
the amount of crud and dirt I always find, they charge $30 for a degrease and
complete clean out. I highly recommend this. I change my fuel filter(frame
mounted outside of tank) every 15,000 miles and make it a habit to cut it
open to see how dirty it gets. Trust me here, it gets dirty!!!! Good luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6, 22 gallon tank; 105,000 miles