Re: Poor Man's K&N Gen II (oops--a little long)

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 14:11:40 EDT

--- "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@texas.net> wrote:
> Sounds like my old "BETA" Air Intake System.

Does that stand for "Bernd's Economical Tube Air?" ;)

> You can paint the PVC but make sure you lightly sand it
> first and then
> prime it before painting it (whatever color your heart
> desires).

So I don't need some sort of special primer for the PVC?
Good deal--I'll have to decide what color plug wires I want
to get in the future and then paint it to match . . . hmm,
blue, red or yellow?

> I used an old alternator bracket (modified with a few
> bends) and made a
> holder for my old tube coming from the old Factory Airbox
> screwhole on the
> fender and used a machine screw with nut to hold the tube
> in place.
> (Drilled a hole and epoxy'd a nut on the inside of the
> tube.)

Yeah, I thought about fabb'n some sort of bracket, but the
axle breather hose (that is what it is right?) seems to
support the front enough--I'll keep an eye on it to make
sure the assembly doesn't start sagg'n and rubb'n.

> You can use the plumbing O-Clamps (which have a rubber
> sleeve on the
> inside) and they look Bitchin' with the Pseudo-Chrome
> covers. (Dual Clamps
> built in as well...)

Yeah, I saw the bin for those, but they were out of them at
the time I made the hardware purchase and I was too
impatient to wait--you know how it goes.

> Got any pictures of it yet??

I have a new scanner at home but I bet I could borrow the
digital camera here at work for a quicker turn around.
I'll get back to 'ya. Thanks for the reply, Bernd.

JY