Re:tint

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 23:16:18 EDT

Hehehe....

I have 5% Limo-Tint all the way around my truck , including a 10" wide
strip on the front . You are only allowed by law 5" on the front window .

I had it done in SOuth FL where tint is done cheaply , but done well .
I had my 98 Club Cab done for about $85 with a lifetime warranty .

This is the same set-up I had in my 94 truck for a year , and I am about to
hit 1 year in this truck with it and I have not been ticketed or pulled
over in either .

Even after being pulled over in both , even at night and thru road blocks ,
not one officer has questioned me about the tint .

I think that there are two scenarios as to why people get tickets for stuff
like tint :

1) The person getting pulled over is well-known already by the cops and is
always showing their ass
2) The cop is either bored , on a quota , which is illegal but is still
practiced , or is just an asshole .

I think that at least in tis truck , since she is black , that maybe that
throws them a bt and they don't realize how dark the glass actually is .

Also , my eyes are extremely photosensitive , so the tint helps me .
With anything less , I am constantly squinting .

Jon is right on the money about reducing glare at night , especially from
on-coming traffic .
I have a stigmatism that is pretty bad and one of the problems I have is
glare at night .

This helps greatly .

At 11:20 PM 5/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 09:52 PM 5/25/99 , you wrote:
>>Steven,
>>You have met the man. Rip it off, show and get the ticket taken care of.
 You
>>might want to have the tint a little less next time or crack the windows
when
>>driving. Sounds like he was being a bit obtuse in judgement. it is the
law,
>>but a lowered truck does attract attention. Yours also sounds fast.
Best of
>>luck.
>>Jim
>>

> I live in NY, and there is a similar law. I have a 20% tint on my side
>windows, and it isn't unsafe at all. In fact, in bright sunshine
>(especially during the winter) I feel my truck is a lot safer due to the
>reduced glare. It also helps when driving at night and you're in front of
>some idiot with misaligned headlights. The light used to bounce right off
>the side mirrors and into my face, but now its diffused somewhat by the
>side tint.
> So anyway, there is a law, but I think its stupid, and I'm not hurting
>anybody so I ignore it. :-) I did get a ticket once, which was actually
>partially my fault... I was driving through one of those
>DWI/inspection/registration roadblocks, and I left my windows up. (My
>stuff was in order so I figured the guy would just wave me though, and I
>didn't even think about the tint on the windows. They pulled me over and
>stuck some stupid light meter on my window which showed that the tint was
>slightly illegal. (I had to resist "accidentally" hitting the "down"
>switch and thus giving that stupid gizmo a one way ticket to the pavement.)
> ;-) They gave me a $75 ticket, which paid and promptly forgot about. The
>tint is still there, and its going to remain there; I don't care how many
>phony revenue generating tickets I have to pay.
>
> I have thought about drilling a hole through the fuse for the power
>windows and putting a piece of string or something through there so if I
>get pulled over, I can lower both windows and yank the fuse out thus
>regrettably being unable to roll them back up for inspection, but I don't
>know if that would work or not. :-) I guess a better way would be to hide
>a switch somewhere so that even with the fuse in place, the windows won't
>operate...
>

> -Jon-
>
> .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------------------------------.
> | Affiliations: DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA. RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
> `----------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

W. Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net