Re: RE: mp3 players in Daks Was: Booted the Console

From: MATT ZEITS (darkharlequin@rocketmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 07:02:39 EDT

Wow, I thought I was the only one going to do this!
I got an Advantec biscuit PC--586 w/sound and built
in flash disk, about 3"x5" in size--but I am trying
to figure out where to stuff it in my 99 cc. Any
Ideas?

===
I tell you this,
no eternal reward
will forgive us now
for wasting the dawn!
--Jim Morrison
http://zeits.net/matt
http://darkharlequin.hypermart.net/

---Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu> wrote:

> At 10:34 PM 6/8/99 , you wrote:
> >Take it one step further...
> >
> >Get a retired IBM Thinkpad 365XD laptop and a
MODAT pedestal (the laptop
> >holder that cops use in their patrol units). This
gives you a color LCD
> >display, and fully functional keyboard and you can
run a GPS via either the
> >PCMCIA slot or serial port. Use one of those
cassette/CD playback modules to
> >put the sound into the tuner. Just have to figure
out how to get 16vDC to
> >the laptop so the battery won't crap out (yes most
laptops use a 16vDC
> >source). Or for those who have the bucks get a
Sony VAIO 500 laptop (It is
> >smaller and uses a 12vDC source and can slip under
the seat when you park
> >the truck).
>
> Yep, I've been doing almost exactly that (as a
test) with my laptop, but
> I want a system that's built into the truck... I
wouldn't feel
> comforatable leaving my laptop in my truck... An
integrated solution is
> harder to steal, and easier to use, IMHO. (A lot
more initial work
> though.) I'll have a 6" LCD for my system, and
I'll be using a good FM
> modulator hardwired into the antenna for the sound.
 (I'll just set one of
> my radio station presets to the computer
frequency.) That'll let me use my
> radio without having to eject the cassette, or have
that wire hanging there
> all the time. For the power, I got a 300W
continuous 500W peak power
> inverter for about $50 from Damark. They do have
DC->DC power supplies
> available, but they aren't cheap.
>

> >Or if you have patience wait for Sony or Kenwood's
CD/MP3 head
> >unit to become available stateside...oops did I
say that??? Seems RIAA is
> >throwing fits about MP3 ( I know I work in the
music industry and I hear all
> >the execs pissing and moaning about lost profits
and the like). BTW do you
> >know that most artists see only a very small
percentage of the profits from
> >the music companies and most of the money the
artists make are from live
> >performances? Yep...No wonder Ozzy keeps
touring... Now you can see why RIAA
> >is having a shitfit over MP3. Also many moons ago
RIAA also had a hand in
> >keeping direct CD2CD out of American homes! Yup
those CD2CD units you see on
> >the store shelves today are NOT direct digital to
digital (DD), they are DAD
> >(Digital Analog Digital). RIAA and the software
arm called SIAA almost kept
> >the CD writers we come to know and love out of our
hot li'l hands for the
> >sake of keeping thier profits,and ivory towers in
LA or NYC (or both take
> >your pick).
>

> I've heard some stuff about this, but have been
sort've ignoring it for
> the most part. :-) I'll admit that I do have a
few songs that I
> downloaded off the Internet;
> (maybe 20-30?) but the vast majority of mp3's in my
system are ones I
> encoded from my own CDs. I just encoded the songs
I like, so I don't have
> to have all the "fluff" in there too; can't do that
with CD's. :-) (OK,
> unless you've got a CD-R...) I've currently got
just under 600 songs which
> takes up about 3GB. I encoded all my mp3's at
160kbps, so that's about 40
> hours of music. (over one and a half days of
playing music nonstop without
> a repeat) :-) I've got about 5-6GB free still, so
if I wanted to I could
> stuff another 1100-1200 songs in there and have
enough music to play for 5
> days straight without a repeat. (Need more? Keep
buying hard drives.)
> :-) Immediate access times too; can't do that with
a CD-changer. :-)
> Plus, with the software I wrote, I can restrict the
songs to a certain
> genre or even a certain artist. I've got
sequential, "true random" (but
> without the repeats), and one song play with repeat
or "one time though"
> play capabilities for all three. Plus, if I feel
like adding another
> feature, I can just fire up the compiler and write
it in. :-) I think
> this is finally going to be the end of my incessant
"channel flipping" in
> the Dak! I hear a lot of people (magazine
audiophiles mostly) complaining
> that mp3 isn't truly CD quality, but if I get FM
quality, I'll be happy!
> Its gonna be in my truck playing through the stock
system fer cryin' out
> loud! :-) I'm listening to the system right now
as a matter of fact, on
> my 120 watts/channel Kenwood surround sound
receiver, and I can't tell the
> difference between them and CD's... More
capability, flexibility, and
> cheaper than a CD changer + head unit! Where do I
sign? ;-)

> | Affiliations: DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA,
SPA, USUA. RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96
Kolb FireFly 447 |
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'