Re: 5-Star Dealer Service (read/respond)

From: Gordon Adams (rtgordon@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 10:08:55 EDT

<This tire thing surprises me as I thought tires were NOT
<covered by DC, but rather by the manufacturer, in my case <Goodyear.Any
thoughts?

Yes, tires are covered by the manufacturer, but maybe in your case they were
able to bill the manufacturer, or did the dirty work of taking the tire to
the local Goodyear and exchanging it.

One interesting note that everyone might be interested in:

I apologize for the length, but late model (97+) Dak owners read on.

The late model Dakotas and Durangos have a slight problem with tire wear in
the front(something to do with the new turning radius). Which the local
Goodyear tech referred to as cupping. Which is an abnormal wearing of each
tread at an angle so that if you run your hand around the tire, it will feel
chunked instead of smooth and even.

The story started out when a friend of mine took their Durango to the
dealership for severe cupping of the tires after 6000 miles. They argued
with the dealership for a long time, and the dealership (service manager)
finally admitted that they were aware of the problem, but it was something
that they would have to do at the Goodyear shop. So, after about four
Goodyear shops, one in Denton (TX) finally admits that there is a problem,
and Goodyear was replacing the tires on Durangos and Dakotas. The Durango
has the severe problem.

I checked the front tires on my wife's Durango after noticing they were not
getting very good traction, and sure enough, they were chunked. I then
started my relentless pursuit. I went to the dealership and argued with
techs for a while, and then asked for the service manager. He said yes he
had heard of the problem, but that they did not deal with it. It was a
Goodyear thing. I then went looking for a local Goodyear to do the work. (I
did not want to drive all the way to Denton for service) Every Goodyear
manager said "If it is a problem with DC's vehicle, why do you think that we
are the one's responsible" I always responded with "I don't know, but
according to the dealership you simply are responsible." They all said that
they would look in to it and get back with me. Of course none of them ever
did. After getting completely frustrated, I took my wife's Durnago to the
Denton shop where to the Denton (TX) shop where my friend took his. I
explained the problem to the manager, and his response was "typical new
Dodge... I love the way they look, but I won't ever get one until they fix
the tire problem"

Anyways, I got all four tires replaced after 13k (bigger and better) for
tread wear ($80.00). The new tires they gave me under this return came with
lifetime replacement (for tread wear), rotation, and balancing. The R/T has
some minor cupping, so I will have them rotated, and if the problem persists
over the next couple of months, I will take it in as well, and I will let
you know how that goes.

gordon