Re: Home dyno kit -- has anyone tried this?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 17:48:53 EDT

At 08:26 AM 6/9/99 , you wrote:

>I saw this on my DSM mailing list, the hardware is REALLY easy to
>build. Has anyone used this before?
>
>http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/dynokit.htm

  Yep, I've tried it, and Sean Meldrum has also. Both of us were unable to
get any readings from it; it didn't want to process the WAV file. I've had
a little better luck with a similar product called "Street Dyno". The
hardware for that is pretty simple too, and even less expensive; instead of
using an inductive pickup, you just read directly off the negative side of
the coil through a few resistors and a potentiometer. That one at least
processes the files; I've gotten one very good run from it, but a lot look
pretty wacky. I probably need to play with it a bit more. Best of all,
street dyno is freeware. :-) The URL is
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5837/StreetDyno.html

                                               -Jon-