Re: RE: mp3 players in Daks Was: Booted the Console

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 17:41:08 EDT

At 12:18 AM 6/9/99 , you wrote:
>Jon... this software.. what's it worth to you?

  Hmmm, hard to say, but if I had to put a price tag on it, I'd say... $7
million dollars. =) (Woohoo! I'm gonna be rich!) ;-)

>I'm kinda interested in getting a copy from you... I'm willing to take the
>risk that she won't want to work here.. but it's got alot more advantage
>than what I was going to use... Win95's winAmp... It's Linux based you
>said...

   I could certainly send you a copy if you're interested in seeing how its
shaping up, but its definitely not quite ready for prime time; still a few
things to do and some features I want to add. I'll probably make it
available for free on the DML home page, or maybe even make it "DML
Donationware"; (if you like it and use it, please consider sending a
donation to the DML, something like that...)

  Yup, its Linux based; actually, it would probably work on most unix
boxes, but linux is the only thing I'm going to be using it with, and I
wrote the software on linux, so it definitely works with at least linux.
:-) Some requirements are... Its an X application, not console or
svgalib, so you'll need to be running Xfree86; also, it uses mpg123 to
actually play the files (I had to hack mpg123 a little bit to fit my
needs). Also, I'm thinking of putting sliders or something in there to
allow you to change the volume, treble, base, etc. which will be calls to
aumix, so you'd need that too if that's the case...) Its not pretty,
there are a lot of cheezy hacks in there, but it seems to be doing the job
its supposed to. :-) There's another one that is SVGAlib based; I don't
know if the author is releasing the code or not, but at the time I checked,
it was a binary only. I'm not sure of the exact address, but if you go to
www.mp3car.com, and click on the "examples" list, then down at the bottom
you'll see a car with an LCD screen in it; the guy's name is Ryan, the
software is available on his page. I decided to write my own because I
wanted to take it in a slightly different direction, and I wanted the
flexibility of access to the source code. One thing his has that mine
doesn't is a cool sort've graphics display that goes along with the music.
I might add something like that in the future, but right now all I'm
concerned with are the title, artist, genre, time remaining, etc.

   Speaking of winamp, I've seen on a few sites that there is a keypad plug
in that you can get to control the whole thing from a keypad. You can also
get some very cool visual plug-ins for winamp, which would probably win you
a few more points at an auto show. :-) I'm writing my software so that
all functions can be performed by a numeric keypad also. (Only trouble is
that I also want to have a full sized keyboard hooked up; does anyone know
if I can use a "Y" cable to attach a keypad and keyboard at the same time?)

                                               -Jon-