RE: Overhead Console MPG off...

From: Steed, Eric P (Eric.Steed@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 15:18:06 EDT

Chris,

I also noticed this- I have not as of yet let the truck run out of gas.
However I usually fill the tank when it has between 1/8 and empty (usually
pretty close to the empty line). I have never gotten more than 18.5 gallons
to go in the tank. I am thinking about filling a 5 gallon container and
letting the truck run out of gas once from full tank to track just how many
miles I can get on a tank. I also would like to know when the truck is
actually out of gas in relation to where the needle is on the gas gauge. My
question is will this damage the fuel filter? I have heard that the grit
and what not sits at the bottom of the tank and will get sucked in if you
let it go empty. I only have 10,000 miles on the truck so far so there
can't be all that much grit yet can there?

-Eric

Black '99 Dakota Sport
4x4 Club Cab
5.2L 318 Automatic