RE: RE: mp3 players in Daks Was: Booted the Console

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 11:32:27 EDT

> BIggest heat source from a computer is the power supply. and Laptops are
> worse from this heat because of the lack of power supply fan... in most
> older models anyway. :)

Wrong wrong wrong.... The CPU is THE BIGGEST source of heat...Especially in
laptops! Wanna touch the top of my laptop after it's been running over an
hour??? It gets hot dude, very hot because it is only a p133 IBM didn't
bother to put a fan in to cool the CPU (hell Compaq has a fan on it's 486
laptops) in the TP760ED, but they did when they put out the TP760XD with a
p166..go figure...

> Your buddy with the 16MB of Ram should consider doubling....Sys
> Req are very
> minimal... optimal is always higher... have you ever seen win 95 run on a
> 486... :)
> I have... scary...

Been there done that... Actually if you have a fast hard drive, and at least
32mb of memory, Win98 will run nicely on the 486DX2/66 system. Provided
you're not running a game or something as CPU intestive as MP3's. It all
goes back to knowing what you are doing, and those little tricks that you
learn from others and experimenting. Case in point everyone thought OS/2 was
a slug. After only a couple of config file mods the system would become a
screamer.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd