Re: 4x4 Lifts

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 17:00:28 EDT

Body Lift: Only gives extra clearance for larger tires. Shifter
modifications are sometimes required as well as bumper relocation brackets
(included with most kits). Only install when larger tires cannot fit under
stock wheel wells and no more than 3" unless cosmetics are not an issue.

Suspension Lift: Allows extra clearance to the undercarriage as well as
added suspension travel. Ranges are from 3" - 5.5" on current '97-up
Dakota's. Better handling (for a 4x4) is also achieved due to stiffer
spring rates.

Most companies do not recommend Body and Suspension lifts installed
together due to the overall center of gravity affected. (Turning sharp
corners "like you used to" are a big No-No.)

I personally run both 2" Body and 3" Suspension with 32" tires and have not
seen any adverse side effects with the exception of the obvious cornering
issues.

At 03:10 PM 06/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Could one of you fine folks explain to me the differences between a
>suspension lift and a body lift... and the pros and cons of each type? I
>figure that body lifts are more complicated when it comes to lines,
>headers, exhaust, etc...
>
>Is one better than the other or more desirable?
>--
>Brian D.
> (_____
> / )
> /_____/ *
> / ) (__ ___ (___
> / / / ) / / \ / )
>Deep Amethyst '99 Dakota CC SLT 4x4, 5.2L, 3.55, Auto., Loaded.
>Chrome Side Steps, Chrome Grill Guard, Gibson Stainless Steel Catback,
>Jacobs Pro-Street Energy Pak, Echlin Brass Cap and Rotor, Soft Tonneau,
>K&N Gen. II FIPK (almost here), and still going...
>Heart of Dixie! Alabama.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm