Re: 4x4 Lifts

From: Brian Duncan (brian@efogm.msd.ray.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 09:31:53 EDT

Thanks Bernd,

So, the suspension lift increases your ground-clearance. If I were to
get a 3" or 5.5" suspension lift, do you know or know how to figure out
what the largest wheels/tires I could use? Does the suspension lift help
at all in fitting in larger tires?

So for 4-wheelin'... I guess you would want to get a suspension lift for
increased ground clearance and also a body lift wouldn't hurt either
since you could increase your ground clearance a little more by being
able to put on larger tires??

--
Brian D.
     (_____

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote: > > Body Lift: Only gives extra clearance for larger tires. Shifter > modifications are sometimes required as well as bumper relocation brackets > (included with most kits). Only install when larger tires cannot fit under > stock wheel wells and no more than 3" unless cosmetics are not an issue. > > Suspension Lift: Allows extra clearance to the undercarriage as well as > added suspension travel. Ranges are from 3" - 5.5" on current '97-up > Dakota's. Better handling (for a 4x4) is also achieved due to stiffer > spring rates. > > Most companies do not recommend Body and Suspension lifts installed > together due to the overall center of gravity affected. (Turning sharp > corners "like you used to" are a big No-No.) > > I personally run both 2" Body and 3" Suspension with 32" tires and have not > seen any adverse side effects with the exception of the obvious cornering > issues. >