Nitrous assisted manifold explosions Was: Lightning bolt

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 18:15:32 EDT

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Bob Tom wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:52:03 -0500, Alan S. wrote:
> >I was at TX Motorplex on Fri night and there was a local Ford dealer
> >there with his N20 assisted '99 Lightning. Yes, Nitrous!
> >I went up against him for grins, of course he spanked the crap out of me
> >with a 13.44 @ 105.15 to my 14.7 @ 90(super hot&humid)...
> >I couldn't help thinking about that 150hp NX kit, at this point.
> >It's getting harder to resist going Nitrous!
>
> I was thinking the same thing until I saw a Mustang blow its fiberglass
> hood high into the air and demolished its windshield at Cayuga Dragway Park
> on Sunday. It happened at the staging light.
>
> It looked like he was purging his system at the lights and the car stalled.
> As his 'pit' crew was removing the pins from the hood, it blew. Fortunately,
> no one was injured even though the explosion knocked one of the guys off
> his feet.
> According to the PA announcer, this type has of explosion has happened a few
> times at the track. Speculation is that a solenoid had failed (an
> undetectible
> thing).
>
> It sure gives me second thoughts.

   I saw a little "NOS/Summit promo" blurb on TV last night. Apparently,
there is some sort of pressure valve you can install in your manifold so
that when you get a backfire through the intake and you have a manifold
explosion, the force of the blast goes out this valve instead of taking
the manifold off the engine. Apparently they are required by the NHRA
(I'm not sure what class this comes into play) but I've never seen one
on a street car. Anyone ever seen anything like this for our trucks?

                                              -Jon-