Re: Leach headers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 23:30:03 EDT

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:57:08 -0400, Bob H. wrote:
>... Before Leach, it would bark the tires for a short distance and then go.
>With the headers, it would barely spin the tires, hardly at all and go.

This is exactly what I experienced for street driving.

>...I would think you were able to launch at higher rpm without spinning as
>much with the headers, then before. Then the headers would take over at
higher
>rpm, is this correct? What rpm were you launching at before and after?...

Yes. This is what I found that I was able to do at the track. (I also
have the
the 3.55 SG. and found out yesterday my truck weighs 4150 lb without driver
and
a half tank full of gas.) At the track, I replace the all-season rears
with drag radials.
All this means is that anyone who uses street radials may not be able
to launch without tire spin at the rpm that I can with the drag radials.

Prior to the headers, I found that I could consistently launch with no
traction
problems at 1500 rpm with the pedal being slammed to the floor immediately on
release of the brake pedal. After the headers were installed, my launch
could be made
near the 1800 rpm mark without tire spin. This allowed me to get into the
power band
quicker so that I could improved on my 60' times and speeds. The increase
in horsepower from the headers was really experienced in the 4800 to 5200
rpm range
where the truck was noticeably still pulling. The above resulted in a
lower e.t. of about
2 seconds and an increase in my trap speed of about 1.5 mph. This is about as
accurate an assessment that I can make because of the effects of differing
temperatures
and wind speeds.

As an aside, without headers and with my street tires, the best launches
for me were done at
1200 rpm and by squeezing the accelerator pedal to the floor upon release
the brake pedal.

While these absolute figures will differ with each truck and driver, I
would be surprised
if this type of pattern isn't experienced by everyone who puts on the
headers...everything
else being constant.

Hope this helps.

Bob