Leach headers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 10:00:22 EDT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:13:52 -0400, Bob H. wrote:
>Well, it says that it takes up to 500-700 miles for the computer to adjust
>to this change and I hope this is right. I G-teched it today, with about
>100 miles on the headers. I have dual electric fans, Dynomax Ultra, and
>Quick D and actually lost all the way around from my last testing, tho
>mileage feels better and seat of the pants. Have I lost low end torque by
>better air flow or got to wait for the miles to get on the system? Went
>from a 7:18 0-60 to a 7:30, a 15.56 and 92.35 quarter to a 15.75 and 89
>speed. I was hoping to drop into the 6s and low 15s. Any explanations out
>there? thanks,

My personal experience was that the addition of the Leach headers did cost
some loss of low end torque. With street driving, power seemed to really
kick in at around 2000 rpm rather than the 1500-1800 rpm prior to the headers.
As I posted earlier, I did improve my 1/4-mile time by about 0.2 sec. with
the addition headers after less than 100 miles of driving.

On the 1/4-mi. strip, the perfromance gain was noticeable around the 4800-5000
rpm mark when in 2nd gear as the Dakota was still pulling whereas, prior to
the
headers, the Dakota had reached its limits.

This is what I had expected and hoped for although I did not know by how
much and
when it would occur. The benefits for me personally is that I can launch more
aggressively (higher rpms) at the line without loss of traction thus improving
my 60' times and keep pulling 2/3 of the way down the track. More improvement
won't be realized until I install the MP cam (waiting for the MP valve springs
along with others).

I have not personally used the GTech. I don't know if you have to alter
the way
you make a run with it in order to register the effects that the headers
give at
the top end. As far as I can tell, the GTech is basically an accelerometer
which means speed input is still needed since an accelerometer cannot tell the
difference between acceleration and gravity. As far as the horsepower
calculation
is concerned, you would use the acceleration from the accelerometer and the
speed
from another sensor... The calculation (mass * velocity * acceleration)
doesn't care whether the acceleration is due to gravity (going uphill) or
increase
in speed.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Maybe the 500-700 miles for the computer to adjust is correct. If this proves
to be case, more improvements are ahead in the near future and I'll be one
happy
camper.

Hope this helps.

Bob