Auto Day/Night Mirror tip for tinters

From: Diamon (miller-lee@usa.net)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 19:24:30 EDT

Sorry I can't find the original thread from a while back, but the subject
came up of the Day/Night Mirror not working with a cap with tint on the
rear. Basically what was said was the tint on the cap threw off the sensor
for the day night mirror and there was no solution.

Well, while looking through the service manual I saw it mentioned there are
two sensors one front, one rear. Basically when the amount of light coming
to the rear facing sensor exceeds the amount of light coming into the
forward facing sensor the mirror starts to darken (higher the contrast front
to rear, the darker it gets). Which got me thinking and experimenting.

Basically I taped Aluminum Foil in front of the front sensor and voila
mirror goes dark even at high noon. Pushing the switch on the bottom lets
you turn it back off for day driving. A more elegant solution would be to
adhere a small piece of tinted glass (tinted to same level as cumulative
effect of all tinting on the rear) across the sensor, and the sensors should
operate if you had clear glass all around.

I don't have a cap or any tinting other than standard on the sliding rear
window, but I'm going to fix myself a little piece of tint across the sensor
to make it more sensitive to rear light. I cannot stand the headlights
behind me just before dusk when there is too much light for the auto
day/night feature to work.