Re: 1999 Odometer

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 11:43:02 EDT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Steve Strigle wrote:

> Does anyone know how to reset the odometer on a 1999 dak? Mine went nuts on
> my today and it's now showing that I have about 400k miles on a new truck
> which I've had for almost a month. I drive alot, but not that much. *grin*
> Would just replacing the computer reset the odo back to 0? Where is the
> odometer information actually stored on the 99's?
>
> The dealers near me are incompentent, so I only want to take it to them on
> a last resort. They'd probably try to say with 400k miles its out of
> warranty!

  With the '99s, I'm almost positive the mileage is stored in the PCM.
(When you get a new one, the dealer has to "flash" in the VIN and the
mileage.) You can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a
few minutes, but I really doubt that'll work. You might be stuck having
to take it in to a dealer. Sounds like you may have some sort of
electrical problem, so you will probably want to take it to the dealer
anyway, so they can find the cause of the problem as well as correcting
the symptoms.
  (Say for example something got messed up and the odometer read 1.2 miles
for every mile... If you try to sell it when its reading 60,000 miles,
it might actually only have 50,000; something like that could hurt the
resale value if you don't know the actual miles...)

                                              -Jon-