Re: Off topic posts

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 16:12:18 EDT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:17:59 -0400 (EDT), Jon wrote:
>...Just a reminder to stop and think for a second about the mail
>you send to the DML...

I know the above statement was made in the context of what is on and off topic
for the DML but it may also apply in a more general context as well.

The editor of Power Wagon & Sport Utes magazine in the spring '99 issue
writes in the first paragraph of his editorial:

"...during these hi-tech performance times we have found that the factory
doesn't always respond as fast as the aftermarket in providing go fast
goodies for EFI vehicles. No where better is this evident than on the
Internet. Click on the DML (Dakota Mailing List) Page and you'll find
owners of R/T and SST trucks e-mailing back and forth..."

He continues in the third paragraph:

"What I've learned off the Internet, however, makes me pause for a moment
and wonder about the mentality of some who e-mail back and forth with
downgrading remarks and innuendos..."

In the rest of the editorial, he goes on to put forth his case that "the
Internet's downgrading remarks and innueudos need to stop if we are
going to survive as an entity". I interpret the 'we' to mean any collective
group of Chrysler performance enthusiasts.

He concludes with:

"...Don't think that representatives of DaimlerChrysler and their employees
don't
see the same thing I do! People get turned off as easily as turned on. So
remember , the next time you send your derogatory e-mail out that Big Brother
is watching you even in the Wild, Wild West of cyberspace."

While I personally doubt that he meant it this way, the editorial sure gave
me the
impression that his reference to downgrading remarks and innuendos came
largely
from DML e-mails because the DML was the only site that was named in the
editorial.

The editorial has left me wondering if this is the overall impression that
the DML
is giving but, more importantly, if it is, do we, individually, want to
make the effort
to correct it.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario