Vibration at 30mph

From: K. Spence (kspence@intermind.net)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 13:19:47 EDT

I've noticed a vibration in my truck while cruising at 30mph. I've only
had the thing a month. Its a 93 CC 4x2 with 60K miles. It actually
vibrates from 25 to 35, peaking at around 30 or so, and it does it with
the tranny in or out of gear (so it's not engine related - I can
actually shut off the motor for a few seconds and coast and it is still
there). I've felt vibrations of out-of-balance tires, but that usually
requires freeway speeds, and that kind of vibration is a little softer
since the suspension absorbs some of it. This is a very distinct rumble
that I can't tell the direction it is coming from, and I doubt is tire
oriented. As I get up to 40+ mph, the vibration frequency is so fast,
that you don't feel it anymore. I'm thinking drive shaft, or the drive
shaft bearing, or maybe a wheel bearing...

Any ideas?? I'm going to jack up the back end and get the drivetrain
moving with the wheels off the ground and see what I can figure out.

Thanks in advance...

Kevin