Re: Score one for anti-spam (No Dak content)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 14:30:02 EDT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Brian Duncan wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>
> Nothing would prevent someone from getting on the list (takes about 10
> mins), sending email to majordomo for a list of all the members in
> digest and non-digest mode and then unsubscribing!! That's easy for
> anyone to do. I think that majordomo needs to be changed to not allow
> anyone to get a full list of members' email addresses. The list I got
> had everyone's email address with no names, addresses or anything. So
> really, what good would the list do for anyone EXCEPT for spammers? Some
> email addresses are so cryptic, you wouldn't know who it was anyways if
> you were looking for someone in particular since no names are listed
> with the email addresses.

  Hmmmm..... That's a very good point. I had forgotten that I have
the list stripping the subscriber info down to the e-mail address. I
guess if anyone wanted their e-mail address and such available to
other DML'ers they could post a profile...

  I'll disable access to the subscriber list right now.

                                              -Jon-