Ram Air-- -RETHINK THIS OUT!

From: Tim (magnum318@bewellnet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 20:49:31 EDT

From:Tim>>magnum318@bewellnet.com
Fri.18th

  OK guys/gals,getting all the kinks out of the air inlet tubing going to
the TB will almost give you NOTHING except a headache. The reason(this is my
thinking only) is because the barrel manifold is the whole problem. It was
made for torque and not high end RPM's. What happens when you have that
smooth intake tubing that's placed at the most optimum air intake? NOTHING,
because when the manifold fills up to its volumn there is a stalemate. And
just think about the manifold, the air rushes in--what happens--it HITS the
bottom of that flat floor where it bounces off molding slag, leg runners
that might be misformed(molded) and not to mention all those bumps and
valleys that are consistent with molding processes.A person has got to think
everything when building a motor. To really get top RPM with these barrel
manifolds, you would have to remove it and do a total workover. Removing or
cutting back the port legs is one way, and another is to build up a pyramid
type platform that would direct the airflow to RAM down onto the intake
ports, and of course the best way is to go to a custom modified ram manifold
that's already made-up, or forget about trying to get 8,OOO RPM's , because
we can't rebuild those engines every 3rd race that the pro's use --it's just
too expensive. The few tricks that are being used, do work, but only so
much,such as K&N,ram-air hoods,cowl hoods, and the best being the shaker
hood being developed which goes directly onto the TB and juts out into the
open air. Lets not get headaches over which is best because these are torque
engines and not 15,OOO RPM motorcycle engines that won't last to 40,ooo
miles without rebuilding. I have a '77 goldwing that has over 85,ooo miles
and I plan for it to last to 100,000 miles with great care and not thinking
that it'll put out twice the horsepower that I know it can't--the same with
my '95 DAK--it'll put out so much and that's all. "the following comments
are in no way related to our sponser."-let the flames begin--I can take it??
ALL this is not counting any crazy juice or chargers which do also serve a
purpose as long as the engine are made for them.