Re: Re: Dak Stall Problem Fixed

From: Chad (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 21:17:12 EDT

If your standing in front of the truck facing it, then on the left side
of the top of the transmission is where you'll find The Camshaft
position sensor. It is accessible (Atleast on my 95 V6) from the Engine
compartment and is easy to get at. It does require a torx bit to get out
though. (I don't know the size) It is shaped like the below: The Top of
it sits on the outside of the transmission. The rest goes into the
tranny. The bottom half of the part that goes in the transmission is a
magnet.

|--------|
----------
   | |
   | |
   | |
   | |
   | |
   ----

You can buy a tester at any of your local auto parts I assume. (The guy
who was helping me already had one) Coming off of the camshaft position
sensor will be a wire that plugs into a plug on the right side of the
engine. It contains three prongs. Based on your tester, With the notch
on the plug facing up, you place the Red Plug on the Left prong. The
Black plug goes on the right, and in my case, the third wire, a yellow
plug, goes in the middle. On the tester I used there were two lights. If
you were to pass an object that would stick to a magnet in front of the
sensor, it would make the lights come on. Apparently the flywheel has
some objects on it that the sensor detects.

I am unaware of what models it is on. I do however know that a 88 Dak
4-banger doesn't have one! I know that because my friend had one and we
checked to see if it had the sensor, thinking we might be able to put it
on my sixer to see if that was the problem.

The way that we discovered that it was the culprit was we checked it
when the engine would start (Ie: engine cold) and then check it right
after the engine stalled. It tested as faulty right after the engine
stalled. I purchased one from the Dealer for $48.00 which was actually
cheaper than Autozone and NAPA who wanted around $53-63 bucks for it.