Re: MSD Mileage and questions

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 01:08:10 EDT

<< What's the deal with the drop in mileage on the highway???? I'm thinking
 about changing the gap on the plugs from .050 to .045, maybe that will help?
 Also, how do you know if the Ignition control is actually doing anything
 besides taking up space? For example: My home stereo's speaker wires are
 all plugged into a JBA 100w subwoofer and then from there the wires get
 plugged into the speakers(simillar to the way the ignition wires now get
 plugged into the MSD and THEN go to the coil). The speakers on my stereo
 still function even if there is no power to the subwoofer. Would the Truck
 still start with no power to the MSD, would the signel from the ignition
 wires just get routed to the coil, simillar to the stereo signal getting
 routed through the subwoofer and to the speakers? I currently have the red
 power wire connected to the battery and the black wire grounded. Would it
 make a difference if I routed the black wire to the battery?
 Any feedback is appreciated! >>

Jason,
When I installed my MSD 6-Offroad about 2 weeks ago and regapped the plugs
from .035 to .050 I was amazed how better my truck ran. Well worth the $230,
including the 8873 universal wiring harness. I took a trip camping last
weekend and noticed that I got about 50 miles more per tank during this trip
and even city driving I noticed about a 1.5 gallon per mile increase. I love
the throttle response and love just how much better it helped my Dak run at
106,000 miles. For power, I had to solder in about 4 feet of 10 guage black
and red to go right to my 3rd and 4th battery post(my batt has 4 posts) which
I bought solid machined brass posts from Crutchfield for $20. These get
screwed right down into the optional accessory post holes and then has a
threaded brass part coming off the top where ring terminals fit great right
over the brass rod and gets bolted down with a brass lock washer and nut. I
hope my mileage doesnt go away like yours did, but I would sacrifice it if
this performance stays.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
MSD 6-Offroad, MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors, Champion 4WD 1050CA battery,
Champion Truck Plugs, Accel Super Coil, Borg Warner Select Brass cap & rotor