Re: One more try...

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 10:27:36 EDT

At 09:30 AM 6/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how to properly prep a front bumper on a sport so
>that the paint sticks good?

Here are the suggestions that I received who has painted my and
his own vehicles.

It appears that our bumpers are aluminum.

If you wish to take the old paint off down to the bare aluminum,
then you will need to use an aluminum primer/sealant before painting.

If you are not going down to bare aluminum, he suggests wet sanding
with 600 grit (he prefers this grit because the sanding scratches are
less likely to show through) and then apply the paint. Primer could be put on
before painting but it will add to the thickness and increase the
chances of chipping.

The process would apply if the bumper is not aluminum. Just be sure
to seal it if you sand/blast the old paint to the metal.

Hope this helps. If you could supply more details, I could speak
to him again.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red