Re: New Dakota Questions

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 12:53:04 EDT

<<1. Should I get a 5-speed or auto? I've driven stick all my life, but
never in a truck or an SUV. Since I have to drive 20 miles to work, most
of it in medium traffic, I'm thinking about the auto, mostly because I
don't think that the stick in the Dakota is like a passanger car's stick.
Any ideas?>>

Pretty much all the vehicles I've owned before were sticks, lots of fun
but I got tired of trying to balance my coffee on my knee and shift at the
same time. So, I went with the auto for "quality of life" reasons on my
Dak and, so far, I have had no problems at all.

<<2. If I get the automatic, there is an option of full-time transfer
case. Is this any good? Does it have the part-time Hi and Low settings?>>

I don't understand why you can't get a full-time transfer case with a
stick. All the full-time option does is allow you to use 4WD on paved
roads/hard surfaces... I live in New England so I got that option for
winter driving. It has all the settings of the part-time T-Case, I.E. p/t
hi and low.

Good luck.

Tom