FW: BFG Drag Radials and rims for sale

From: Tate Strickland (strickt@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 00:48:54 EDT

Subject: BFG Drag Radials and rims for sale

Please send replies to tstricklan@shl.com <mailto:tstricklan@shl.com> so as
not to clutter the list.

For sale:

BFG DOT approved Drag Radials P295/65/R15's - tall, wide, serious meat.

$350.00 + shipping for tires and Dak 8" rims, new stems, balanced.
$290.00 + shipping for tires alone

They are $204.11 apiece ($408.22) including tax from NTB. I'd ask $150
apiece for them. From Summit, these tires are $180.95 per plus $7 shipping
per - $375.90 total - they said that was their best price. Rims are not for
sale by themselves. Rims are in good condition with some cosmetic
scrapes/gouges at the very edge of the rims. I'll throw in the smoked
headlight covers the guy sent me too (came with the wheels - btw, the rims
don't have center caps - didn't have 'em when I got em).
 They have been to the track one time - three times to the light. One good
run, once I killed the motor when my foot slipped off the clutch right
before the green, and one missed shift run against Alan Short. No burnouts
- ever. About a month on the street. A visual inspection of the tires will
speak for itself. I have the receipt and even kept one of the factory
stickers.
I talked to a few people and they suggested the taller, wider tire since I
was trying to get maximum traction for a minimum et in a truck - inherently
not a good setup for traction with the light rear end. What I was told was
that with little weight over the rear, the taller tire has more give to it,
reducing the chance for spin. Yes, the unsprung weight is a disadvantage
(heavier), but I was led to believe that the taller, wider tire would still
be better if you really wanted to launch hard. I would think that you could
run a little more pressure in them too - that might offset some of the
unsprung weight disadvantage. One last point - they look totally badass -
really fill the wheelwell (but no clearance problems at all). I know the
point isn't to look good, but it doesn't hurt either. If you can launch
hard with shorter, thinner slicks - great - get that ratio down as low as
you can for some anvil hard launches. If you have a problem with spinning
on the line, or you have to baby it and don't want to raise the gears in
your rear (who does?), these tires are the medicine for that. Probably more
of a problem for the 5spd crowd (me), but I'm sure these would work great
with an auto and a V8 with a few mods.

Getting Married October 2nd - need the moola.

Miss the list - wish I could read more messages more often.

Tate