Re: getting a 4x4 Dak TRAILWORTHY

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 21:15:16 EDT

<< Just did some serious offroading this past weekend at Tellico ORV trails
near
 Murphy, NC, although unfortunately my Dak did not have enough lift to clear
 those trails (holy huge freakin rocks Batman!) so I had to ride in a lifted
 4Runner...
  Point is I want to get my '96 Dak more TRAILWORTHY...which means putting in
 the 4" Trailmaster suspension lift (what other suspension lifts are
 available? Any?), 33" BFG Mud terrains (I think they should then fit), rear
 locker, figure out some sort of a swaybar disconnect for the front end, and
 fabricating some strong rock rails to attach to the frame to protect the
 sheet metal (kinda like really tough nerf bars)...
  So I have a few questions:
 1. Any DML'ers put in the Trailmaster lift? I want to see pictures!! Are
 there websites with more pictures or info on this product?
 2. Once in, are the swaybars disconnectable for better articulation? Or are
 there aftermarket discos available that might fit?
 3. Can I then fit 33's? Iwould think I'd be able to...
 4. Any other suggestions for a more serious off road truck? Like anyone been
 able to find skid plates to fit?
  Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave,
This is just what I have planned for the new year. For the past year or so I
have been doing the performance upgrades and other trailmods(brushguard with
Hellas, tow hooks, toolbox w/ recovery gear, and tons more) The only other
thing I need to do is swap in some bucket seats for the inside. The
TrailMaster 4" lift will allow you to run 32x11.50's on aftermarket rims,
properly backspaced. The 32's will allow for maximum suspsension
articulation, while 33's probably would fit, some rubbing/sheet metal damage
might occur. I plan on running 32's with the 4" lift and 2 shocks at each
corner along with dual steering stabilizers. I plan on swapping out my 3.55
gears for 3.9's, which will put engine RPM back within 50 rpm at 55 mph, so
there will be minimal power loss. Currently, there are no swarbay disconnects
for our Daks, but all that is holding the bar on my 93 on are 8 bolts, so you
could spend 10 minutes and take it off for somemore axle articulation, but I
doubt it would help that much on our Daks, due to the IFS setup. The
TrailMaster kit does have an option for a front axle skid plate, but thats
about it. I think it would be easy to fab up some 1/4" skid plates,
especially for our ever-so-trailworthy NP231 tcase. You could ever do some
tcase mods for ULTRA low gears/crawling capabilites, since older Wranglers
used the same NP231 tcase, and they offer many products for this case. Hope I
had some ideas, now just need the checkbook! :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6