re: EGR valve

From: Mike Burgess (mike.burgess@akamail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 01:58:35 EDT

> Subject: DML: EGR valve
>
> when running at high speed I noticed that my temperature
> guage is running
> slightly over the midpoint, but when stopped or parked my guage
> falls below the midpoint. I was wondering if the egr valve had anything
I had a problem like this on an Olds, turned out to be a water
pump with 2 bad vanes, at low rpm, it pumped just fine, but get the revs
up, and it would cavitate, and stop pumping. Try with and w/o
overdrive engaged, the 1,000 RPM at 65mph difference should
show some results.
  You could also have some air in your freshly flushed coolant,
I found the best way to purge air was to:
 run/drive till normal temp, turn heater on, to purge its' lines too.
  with engine still on, top off the overflow tank with 50-50 mix
   drive a bit more and then park overnight, with the side of
   the truck that has the radaitor cap, elevated a good 6 inches,
   I drive up on the curb, right front tire high.

This will let any air bubbles collect under the rad. cap, and also,
when the engine cools down, and sucks water back in from the overflow
tank, that the overflow does not run dry, and add air into the system.
  IMPORTANT THE next AM, when all is cold, open the rad cap, and see
that the coolant is indeed up to the top. If not, VERY SLOWLY, so
you dont mix air in, add coolant to top it off, then reseal the rad cap.
Start it up, and let it idle for a few min. This should "burp" any
leftover air back into the overflow tank, and leave your coolant air
(and bubble) free. Repeat for a day or two, and you'll know soon if you
have a leak. If no leaks, the cooling system should be OK, and then
checc into more exotic stuff like the EGR.
 Also the flush could have clogged the radiator core.
Mike

--
"Thoughtcrime was not a thing that
could be concealed forever. You might