re: EGR valve

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 07:31:14 EDT

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:58:35 -0700, you wrote:

>I had a problem like this... turned out to be a water pump...
> You could also have some air in your freshly flushed coolant...

Another way to get rid of trapped air in your cooling system is:
1. with the engine cool/cold, carefully remove the rad cap
2. start the engine and let it idle

Don't stand too close to the rad. You'll see the coolant begin
to flow as the engine warms up. As the engine becomes warmer,
the coolant will begin bubbling and may splash a bit out of the
rad cap opening depending on the coolant's level. Allow the
engine to run for a bit longer. Turn the engine off. When
the coolant has cooled down sufficiently, put the rad cap on.

BTW, if you ever have problems with the coolant system or
a water temperature gauge in the red zone while driving, pull
off and stop safely on the side of the road. Put the gear
in park or neutral. Increase the revs to a little over idle
to get the coolant moving faster (i.e. trying to cool the
overheated situation a bit). Set the heater control to full
heat and turn on the heater fan to full. Once the temp.
gauge backs off, turn the engine off and let it cool. Once
it has cooled sufficently, take the rad cap off carefully using
a rag or heavy gloves. Top up the coolant with water or
anti-freeze mixture (I carry a jug with me at all times).
Leave the cap off. You can now start the engine and drive
to the nearest service station in 'limp' mode (slow speed).

Sorry for the length.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red