RE: getting a 4x4 Dak TRAILWORTHY

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 17:59:26 EDT

Several things to keep in mind:

(1) Larger tires require shorter gears (3.90 - 4.10:1 preferred for
streetability and offroad "playing")
(2) Suspension lift will help with articulation and clearance but may not
help clearance for the larger tires.
(3) Fender trimming can be avoided with a mild body lift (2" in this case
should be just fine)
(4) Short wheelbase vehicles (such as Jeeps) have always been considered one
of the top vehicles for offroading. Landcruisers and the custom built
Scorpions are right up there too.

Making it "trailworthy" would include extra Gas Can (5gal), tow straps, tow
hooks, skid plates (protect yourself and your tranny), CB, trashbag (keep
the trails clean), extra lights (only if you like night trails), and a
Hi-Lift Jack (just in case). Looks like you already have all of that anyway
so the last item would be your suspension. (Hate to say it, but there
aren't too many factory 4x4's that are "Trailworthy" from the
factory...there are exceptions though.)

With the picture of a Dakota...I thought I saw a picture from a DML member
who lifted his Dak about 4". I also haven't been able to locate the
Trailmaster site, can anyone else help out with the URL?

Regards,

Bernd