RE: CB's - Reach out and touch someone

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 11:57:32 EDT

> Let's talk about the wide world of CB's. Is there really much difference
> between CB's? Do some have better range? Sound better? What
> kind of things
> should one look for when choosing a CB? How about some recommendations?
>
> Jason

What do you want to know??? I date from the day when you had 23 channels and
your rig had tubes (yes vacuum tubes!) Yes there is a difference between
rigs. You get what you pay for. It all depends on what you wanna do with it.
If you want SSB (single side band),FM, or just something for around town. I
have one in my truck. It is an old Teaberry Stalker IX Export (has
AM/FM/SSB). It has been modified to go 40 below Channel 1 and up to Channel
104 (64 above channel 40), the clarifier (BFO) has been opened (can slide
+/- 10kHz), and the audio output and power have been tweaked. I usually set
up a rig for a 4 watt dead key and as high as I can go with modulation
without going over 100% (this is extremely important if you are going to run
any heat). The two I would reccomend for the average user is either the
Cobra 148GTL or Uniden (President) Grant. Both for the most part are the
same chassis just has different features. If you want channels well that's
another story, the newer rigs are very hard or cannot be modded at all due
to the programming of the PLL chips (sound familiar?). But those rigs I
believe still use the MC8734 chip so if you're good with a soldering iron,
you can yank that and drop in a MC8719 and have lots of channels. Also a CB
is as good as it's antenna. I have a L'il Wilson magmount on the roof. I
live about 45 min from NYC and and the folks there state that I sound like a
local. The K40 antennas are nice BUT are expensive and cannot handle more
than 100 watts. If you want more info drop me a line....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd