WELDING QUESTION...custom rockrails on a 4x4

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 13:38:00 EDT

Ok, anyone know much about electric arc or MIG welding?

A friend of mine is fabricating and welding together some heavy-duty
rockrails (really strong-ass nerfbars to protect my sheetmetal from big
offroad rocks) for my Dak, he has experience welding but never directly to a
vehicle frame, which is the plan (we looked at bolting configurations but too
complex, thus we're welding direct to my frame)...

We need to know if anything on the truck needs to be disconnected (like the
battery) or grounded somehow...(I have alot of onboard electrical components
like stereo equipment/cb/radar detector/phone/etc...) just to doublecheck as
a precaution before proceeding!!...

Any thoughts?

Dave Kilian
Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC Sport 4x4 3.9L 5-spd
Mods: 2" Rear spring lift, front T-bar crank, 30x9.50 BFG AT's, Brush guard
w/ Hellas, Tow hooks, Tool Box, Sunroof, Cobra 18 CB, 4' Firestik II, Alpine
6-disc CD Changer/Head Unit/amp, JBL speakers, Rhode Gear bike mount, and a
white dog named Jake in the passenger seat. 75,000+ miles.