RE: RE: DC Responsibility

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 16:06:40 EDT

>If DC gets away with it once, they'll keep doing it until they are
>forced to pay. If they get nailed to the wall the first time, then if it
>happens again, maybe they'll think twice about doing the right thing.

This is hardly the "first time" something like this has happened, either in
Chrysler or in the industry at large.

I've been refraining from comment on this issue, but I just HAVE to put in
my two cents' worth. Consider this: you go to the store and buy a quart
of milk. You pay the shop keeper the $3.00 and take the milk. You've just
made a "transaction." You've exchanged something of value, money, for
something of equal value or desireabillity, the milk. The transaction is
founded on what you believe to be value of the product you're
purchasing. In this case, the carton says "2% Milk" on the front. It may
have further nutritional information and ingredients listings on the side,
which are there by law to help you make an informed choice. But the key to
the transaction is that you, in good faith and with reasonable
expectations, think you've bought milk. You go home and put the milk in
the fridge.

The news comes on and there's a story that says "Joe's Dairy announced
today that all quart cartons of 2% milk produced by their dairy actually
have grape juice in them. To people who've bought the cartons: we've
decided to revise the specs of our milk to include grape juice. you did
see that "specifications subject to change without notice," didn't
you? Tough beans if you didn't -- you've got grape juice now."

I think you see where I'm going here, right? Chrysler, by advertising a
truck that can tow a boat, and by publishing specs through their dealers
say that the R/T can do something. They can put as many asterisks in their
copy as they like, but the bottom line is at least ONE customer who bought
an R/T bought it with the idea of towing something somewhere at some
time. They parted with an amount of money for something of equal value or
desireabillity and did so in the good faith expectation that the truck
could tow whatever they intended to tow.

When Chrysler arbitrarily changes a paper value and says "Oh, by the way
you can't tow anymore." they're reneging on the good faith part of the
deal. Simply: there should be compensation and an admission of fault from DC.

my .02c worth
-ch

Mail from Chris Hindy, a proud DML member from Toronto, Ontario
1998 Dakota Sport, PB3 Intense Blue. 3.9L V6, 3.91 LSD
Mods: extang Soft Tonneau, K&N Air Filter, Bosch Plats, CD Changer,
and others.
Next: MSD 6a, Wires, and other ignition stuff - Best 1/4: 16.99/89mph