RE: DC Responsibility

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 14:54:00 EDT

Chris, Eric...

   There really isn't a total "right" here. There is a corporate perspective
(Money saved=Money earned) and a moral perspective (Restitution is not
retribution, it's making things fair). DC has taken the corporate perspective
(I understand it, it's just too little, IMHO, for the problem size), and it
will take attorneys to make them take the moral route. If that is "right"
then lets define it as such.
   I'm more than happy to let DC say: "Oops, we goofed!" and try like heck to
fix it. To say: "Oops, we goofed... here's $300 to all those that got factory
hitches." then just let the issue drop like the checks and stickers (if you
look at a new R/T) will fix the problem, it's too evasive. They needed to
say, "What can we do to make this right for you?" to the R/T owners, hitches
or not. It will now take lawyers to make them ask that question, and it's sad
that they think that way. Cost wise, it's pennies to DC to have done it
right. I'd even say it's less than what it's costing them currently in bad
press and reputation. I feel sorry for them, but not sorry enough that if I
was an R/T owner I wouldn't be filing a class action suit against them because
they made a wrong decision.
   Eric, I'm not looking for a response from anyone (so you needn't respond to
this). I'm actually hoping that DC has people who are on the DML and are
reading this. I'm afraid that in the future more companies will destroy the
loyalty customers like the people here DML give them just because they think
they'll save a dime or two. I seem to recall a similar loss of loyalty due to
inferior customer support and products causing Chrysler to almost die a few
years back. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson, but apparently not.
 We need to make sure that as purchasers of a product that we keep the
manufacturers interested in providing quality products and service for them.
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. It's the truth, it's sad, but it's
Corporate America. It's why we have consumer laws. But, then the attorney's
need to get money from somewhere... right? ^_^

Shaun H.