Re: DML Digest V4 #715

From: P. Phelps (pap20@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 22:09:27 EDT

>Instead of pouring development money into the Plymouth Prowler (plymouth
may soon be a >defunct name..by the way) which probably sells less than
8,000 units, why not put that into a >DOHC V-8 and six speed tranny for
gas vehicles??? How about stepping up the development
>of aftermarket (MP) pieces for enthusiasts (can you relate?). Quite
frankly
>the bucks would also be better spent making a "GT" version of the
Chrysler
>300M with a pumped up engine output (maybe 330 horse or so) and some
fatter
>wheels/tires, fender flares and a little less exterior chrome. This
could
>be done with relatively small capital outlay (no reinventing the wheel
>here). Do you think BMW is full of it when they offer a luxo sedan or
sport
>coupe with a manual 5 or 6 speed? They appeal to those people who
really
>appreciate this stuff (and can pay for it). Bet DC would sell alot more
>"souped" 6 speed ( and auto)300Ms in a year than they would Prowlers in
3 or
>4 years. A lot of marks are being missed here is what I'm trying to
point
>out. Not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but I think
>they've kind of lost sight of priorities in the performance end of the
>spectrum. Any comments from the group here?

Bob,

I heard something about the Plymouth name being phased out, but that
rumor was denied a month or two ago, so I don't think it's accurate
anymore. As far as 6 spd. BMW's, I think they only offer 5spds. (I know,
you were just giving an example, I'm anal about that sort of thing).

As for your other statements, I wholeheartedly agree. When the 300M came
out, I wondered why in the hell they decided to make it front-wheel,
instead of rear-wheel like the competition. Going from a Z28 and the
wonderful aftermarket it has, to my R/T and the lack of parts for it has
been quite a change. Before I switched vehicles, I thought the Camaro
aftermarket was kind of small (well, if you compare it to the Mustang
aftermarket)!

If you're interested in RWD ChryCo cars with V8's, check out this site:
http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b062999.htm

I think that ChryCo has finally seen the light with BMW redesigning the 3
series, and Lexus entering the entry-level luxury/sport category with its
upcoming IS200. These cars are all around the 300M's price range, yet
they all outperform it, despite the 3.5L's 253hp (too heavy of a car
perhaps). Sometimes I wonder if they've fallen into the same trap that
Ford did with the Mustang (we're outselling the F-bodies, why give the GT
more power?). The 300M and Prowler are hot sellers, why mess with them
(a DC exec. might reason)? Hopefully the report at the above hyperlink
is true, and ChryCo will indeed release some true "enthusiast" cars.

Paul
'99 R/T CC DA